Wednesday, January 25, 2006

still reading, and re-reading End O' Faith

I have finished with a chapter on Islam and feel I must re-read it to make sure what he's saying- not that he's being unclear (summary: Islam is very bad and means to kill us all and probably themselves, too, iin the name of Paradise and Allah), but that I want to understand the context of his Quran quotes as much as possible and need to seriously evaluate some of the conclusions he drawn from his argument before i commit them to print here.

In other reading news- Carl Sagan's Demon-Haunted World is spectacular. It's an oldie, but very worthwhile. His arguments for the importance of a true and solid knowledge of history are cogent and well-written. More in depth later.

4 comments:

Edie said...

Wasn't that a good 'un? I wonder what he would say differently now regarding the fundamentalist right and "real patriots ask questions" chapter at the end.

Clare is Reading! said...

I read the end of the book (I'm like that sometimes) and there he has several FAQ's he has gotten since the hardcover release (this is the paperback). To backtrack a bit- he starts his acknowledgements "I began writing this book on September 12, 2001." Obviously this will colour his views- even with the "return to scientific thinking" which he claims took place at some point. I do not feel that this chapter - on Islam- was written during that time.

Anyhoo- he re-dismissed the idea of politics and economics having anything to do with Islamic Fundamentalists' violence.

Edie said...

Oh, I meant the Sagan book was a good one, not this old rag you're reading now! ;)

Clare is Reading! said...

The Sagan book is a better than good book. This one is almost finished- it is hanging on in preocrastination-land until the bitter end.

I do wonder what Sagan would be saying- it seems that Science lost its best voice with his passing.