Friday, April 20, 2007

On the subject of Critical Thinking

I bought a book today for my boy- The Emperor's New Clothes, as retold by Marcus Sedgewick with illustrations by Alison Jay. It's a good story, well-known to most, but not yet to him. I remember it being a favourite when I was a child.

What I liked best then and like best now about the story are the lessons- first, Speak Up, and second, Emperors are not infallible. Now I sort of view it as a primary lesson in questioning authority and not believing everything you hear- trust your eyes and the evidence you gather. I am surprised the story is not banned more often, quite frankly.

It is my hope that this will be a sort of introduction to Critical Thinking skills.

This particular edition is charming- the tailors are weasles (not subtle, sure, but funny), the Emperor a lion, and the illustrations are lovely. The story os told in rhyme, which is generaly a dicey proposition, though this edition is lacking the forced feel that often comes from that form.



MY review of it is positive. We will find out tonight what HE thinks of it- which is the important part.

2 comments:

Edie said...

Well, how was the critical reaction?

My boys liked Dr. Seuss' Bartholomew and the Oobleck, which is somewhat more forgiving in depicting the king than the Emperor's New Clothes, but is still a tale of a powerless child standing up to a pompous and idiotic ruler.

Clare is Reading! said...

Thanks for the recommend!

Well...We also read the Dumb Bunnies, which is far more hilarious. He was all right with the Emperor's New Clothes, "even though no one got flushed down a toilet". My consolation prize is that he recognizes the Dumb Bunnies as being dumb.