Friday, June 04, 2010

And then a year went by....

And yes it did.

We had Memorial Day and all I can think about about it is that there's been a war on as long as I have been a mother. My son's entire life is shorter so far than the occupation of Iraq. So when I see recruiters at the Starbucks, my first thought is not "thank you", it's "stay the f*ck away from my kid, you jackals". Getting an email from his school district saying the budget needs emergency cutting and the size of the cuts is about 200 staff positions doesn't make me want to say "Hey, thanks for the freedom!", it makes me want to say, "thieving murderous bastards," because I think of the uncountable millions being poured into bullets and bribes.

This is not a popular position in certain circles or on certain days.

Do I appreciate the troops? I appreciate that they've been traumatized by being commanded to kill women and children and men. By "appreciate" I mean understand. I do not blame them - most of them started out like you and me, wanting to do something good, or looking for a way to support their own families and build a better future for themselves and the world. Some are sociopaths, they I do not appreciate. "Moral waivers" have been issued to allow criminals to engage in this criminal set of wars. Recruiters have preyed on autistic and otherwise unfit people to gather troops for these long long wars.

I appreciate that the returning soldiers will have a hell of a go trying to re-adjust (those who started out adjusted) to society. I appreciate that of three grandfathers who were WWII veterans and a dad who is a Viet Nam War vet that they never talk/ed about combat experiences and shy away from general war-time discussion except to remark on how nice the people they met and didn't kill were, and how much they miss the great guys who did not come back home. I appreciate that a lot of people do not get the help they need to turn off the kill switch and come to grips with what they did "for freedom". I appreciate that a lot of families suffer from the absence, and then return of, their relatives.

I appreciate that the President who is now in charge of these wars and un-manned drone attacks sends his kids to an expensive Quaker school. I appreciate that Congress can approve emergency war funding, but manages - twice, mind you - to go on vacation while letting unemployment benefits lapse because it would be "too contentious to tackle".

Yeah, hey, thanks.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You're missed at BNaBBT. Just sayin'.

Love,
Mehitabel74